Tuesday, October 21, 2008

first and second day


So Im having a great time, its all very interesting. Amel man, Lucille women and Gilles man are the other students. Again im writing a little strange since I am not used to this keyboard. We have been working on Ble Noir[buckwheat or savory crepes] and Fromant[sweet crepes]. There is one star in the class and unfortunately it is not me, im not bad though. I have a good wrist and I can manuever the spatulas very well, its the actual cooking of the crepes on the bilig that is difficult. It is really fun though, i think ill be fine by the end.

Last night Jilles took me to the store to buy groceries, i could have stayed there for hours checking out all of the products Im not used to but we had to go so Jilles could cook his steak, IN BUTTER, HAHAHA. That night we all had some wine and than Lucille and I went to the local bar on the beach for cider. People are very nice but they find it strange that we would travel this far to learn how to make crepes. Lucilles grandmother is from this area and she is very proud that her grandaughter is learning this tradition. Lucille is from the Pyrenese[the mountains that separate Spain and France] but she wanted to learn the proper way and this is the place to learn. Crepes are everywhere here.

I am proud to say that I am the only American student that Bernadette has ever had and she has been running this school for 5 years. She speaks mainly in French but i keep up buy watching what shes doing and then either Bernadette or Lucille will translate if I missed something.

Im having a really great time, i think this has been a necessary trip for me. Plus the area is beautiful and im sleeping again, thats huge. I dont think iv had a good nights sleep since iv been in New York. Okay Im going to try to post some pictures. If I am successful enjoy.

1 comment:

Joan said...

l'arnold, i LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!! so glad your enjoying the experience. uncle marc and i have have traveled thru brittany. we loved it. can we incorporate some crepes into thanksgiving? looking forwARD TO READING MORE. love aunt joni